Anyone who knew Bruce and I when we were first together would understand that we really needed to get a grip on our stuff! At times we've lived in chaos and clutter to the point that we couldn't see a surface or have people over without being humiliated. I always thought we needed to get more organizing systems, more closets, more storage, etc, but once we moved into a larger house with lots of closets we realized that our problems weren't over.
It's been freeing to come to understand that what we need is LESS STUFF.
We have been decluttering over the past year or so and are having lots of fun getting rid of the extra stuff in our home. What used to be stressful and emotionally painful for me has become so much easier once I realized that I really am not my possessions. They don't define me and I don't lose anything by getting rid of them. Even...yes it's true...even books!
Decluttering and getting rid of what we don't need & love is addicting, to be honest, and sometimes I wonder what we will have left once we are done! There is so much reward in letting my eyes rest on a clear surface or an open space. Not to have to search through a stuffed closet and overflowing drawers in order to find something.
I feel like we are at the beginning of a new path in our life together, a journey towards simplicity, of being content with less, and a focus on the wonderful things in life that can't be held on to, but are to be experienced and enjoyed. I'm sure it will be full of challenges but I look forward to the things we will learn about ourselves and the opportunities it will create.
Onward ho! (and yes, I do realize what a dork I am.)
Oh, and this lovely photo is of a yew tree we saw in Avebury, England.
Those Yew trees are magnificent! But what isn't in England!
ReplyDeleteyes, I have come to realize that we don't need a lot of stuff to clutter our lives. And yes it is definitely freeing to get rid of all the extra stuff. We need to get rid of some of the clutter in our lives as well. Thank you Shellie for putting that into words. God bless you. That's why we are not buying Christmas gifts this year, except for the kids under 13 years old. We have a box of gifts that has been piling up that we will be getting rid of this Christmas!!
ReplyDelete